Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Orientation

          This course is sure to be promising. I have always found English to be one of my strongest subjects but there is always room for improvement. I enjoy writing but there have been times in which I find myself at a dead end. Starting essays is something I could definitely improve. I know what I want to write about and I know how I want to explain it but I can't always come up with a proper introduction that paves the way for my ideas. I also find public speaking a bit nerve wrecking but this I can definitely handle better than memorization. Memorization is by far my weakest point. I'm sure Dr.Preston will help each and every one of his students exercise this skill with his future poem assignments and lists of vocabulary words. Although these tasks may seem tedious at first glance, they tend to improve ones memorization skills and are quite helpful in the long run.
          I was in Dr.Preston's my sophmore year and it was an abyss of mixed emotions. The work load was hardly a problem but when work was actually given it took quite a bit of analyzing and understanding. Not all of the work was fun but at times it could be. I am looking forward to Dr.Preston's new and improved way of teaching which I hope proves to be just as effective as his previous way. The technology aspect of this new teaching idea is what has me feeling anxious. It is comforting to know that he will not let us do this completely alone. We will have him as well as our classmates as useful sources in case we find ourselves stuck at some point. My main goal for this course has to be the improvement of my writing skills as well as skills involving technology. These two skills are essential to possess throughout school and life in general.
          This course, I'm sure, is designed to give students the proper tools to improve their knowledge and way of thinking but the students are the ones responsible for using these tools to their advantage. I will make sure I take what is given to me and shape it to fit my needs in order to actally see improvement in my knowledge and personal way of thinking. I hope to gain an open mind and a better understanding of literature in general.

No comments:

Post a Comment